Monday, May 20, 2013

Ross Pickett - First Impressions


Ross Pickett

Ghana is amazing.  Jamie and I have been here for almost 2 days now.  I had my first culture shock as we walked in Accra to find dinner.  Everyone stared at us as we went down the street but we learned that if we just said, “hello”, that they were very friendly.  We have met and talked with so many people in the last two days and they have all been nice. 

Our drive from Accra to Abomosu was an eye opening experience.  I didn't know that cars could drive so close together!  Our drive was great; we passed through many villages and townships.  At one point our driver took us on a detour off of the highway because there was construction slowing down traffic.  We drove on a tiny dirt road that weaved through the “bush”.  It looked like a road that Americans would use a 4 wheeler on.  The tiny road was lined with people on just about every turn asking for money.  They told our driver they were “providing a service” because of the construction on the highway.  After a couple hours of being in Abomosu, we hiked to one of the villages we will be teaching in.  I didn’t realize how big of a language barrier there was until we met and talked with locals along the way.  I think each day will be a learning experience and I am excited to be in Abomosu!

No comments:

Post a Comment