Thursday, June 26, 2014

Another week down

Wendy

Another week has flown by in Ghana! We have one week left before our
phase 1 and phase 2 students finish their course and find out if they
are funded. Luckily for us, most of the students in our classes have
great businesses already, so the weeding out has already occurred.
Regardless of if the students are funded, it’s been humbling to see
how grateful they are for the things that we’re teaching them. John, a
cocoa farmer in Akwadum said this week, “When I learned about this
class, I only wanted to do it if I was guaranteed a loan. Once I
started coming to the classes, I realized how much I didn’t know about
business and how much I need to know in order to run good business.
Even if I don’t get a loan, I know I will be more successful because
of the things you have taught me.” Talk about having great students!

        This week we got to give our phase 3 students their loans! Excitement
was definitely in the air as they signed their loan agreements and
were given their money. The pods we have selected are strong and we
have full faith that they will be able to pay back the loan and
receive the rebate at the end. Pictures will be coming shortly! ☺ On a
more casual note, we went up to Mole National Park for the day and saw
elephants!! We were really lucky and got to see a father elephant and
his young son at the watering hole giving themselves a bath.
Apparently there are lions in the park, but our guide said he hasn’t
seen one for 3 years. Our guide said that poaching is a major problem,
which is why the amount of wildlife they see is decreasing. We will be
heading to Accra to drop off Andi and pick up Alex at the end of this
week, which means we’ll be able to send pictures!

Tell next time,
W.W.A.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment